Phone 1800 129 606 or (08) 8234 5219
 

History

 

 

Lady Gowrie Child Centre (Adelaide) was officially opened in August 1940 at the Thebarton site. Gowrie Centres were established in each capital city close to industrialised areas where there was overcrowding, poverty and poor health outcomes for children.

These centres were established by the Commonwealth Government as demonstration, training and best practice models for early childhood professionals across a range of multidisciplinary services – education, care and health.

The centres were built with similar architectural features and equipment and programs for children and parents were nationally consistent.

Her Excellency, The Lady Zara Gowrie, wife of the Governor General, was a strong advocate for the development of the six centres, and as a consequence each of the centres was named in her honour – The Lady Gowrie Child Centre.

Over the years, the nature of the programs have changed in response to funding arrangements, however, the focus remains the same:

  •  supporting the education, care and well being of young children, their families and their educators and promoting understanding in the broader community.

Today, the Chief Executive Officers of the six centres meet on a regular basis providing collegial support, developing projects, research and submissions regarding policy initiatives.

Educators from the Gowrie centres continue to share research findings, collaborate on best practice and innovation and undertake professional learning.

Gowrie Australia publishes a monthly article “Reflections” which is distributed electronically to the early childhood education and care sector nationally.

We continue to research early childhood education to offer programs that are responsive to contemporary society, to offer every child the best start, provide innovative parenting support and a range of services to nurture the professional education and care workforce.